[Greener-benches] FAS Green Program Updates: May 2012

Bemis, Jamie L jamie_bemis at harvard.edu
Thu May 24 16:46:18 EDT 2012

Dear All,

Another academic year has come and gone, and FAS has a lot to celebrate!  Everyone in our community is working really hard to reduce our environmental footprint and we thank you all. Here's a wrap-up of our latest news and updates from across campus.

Best regards,

Gosia, Jamie, Brandon and Sam

VIDEO: Celebrating Our 2012 Green Carpet Green Winners<http://youtu.be/d_NmrMi6tu0>
We're grateful for all the dedication and hard work of this year's Individual Green Carpet Award Winners and what better way to celebrate all their amazing achievements than with a video<http://youtu.be/d_NmrMi6tu0>!

SCRB Hosts Successful First-Ever Lab Environmental Competition<http://green.harvard.edu/scrb-hosts-successful-first-ever-lab-environmental-competition>
After 6 weeks of tough opposition, the first lab-oriented environmental competition at Harvard came to a close on April 9th, just in time for Earth Day and the Harvard Green Carpet Awards<http://www.green.harvard.edu/greencarpet2012/winners>. The Macklis, Zon, and Rubin labs paved the way with their creative strategies for energy and waste reduction, and earned the winning titles for their floors. Thank you to all the labs who participated!

Students' independent projects get at the heart of sustainability<http://green.harvard.edu/rep-independent-projects-get-heart-sustainability>
The 2011-2012 academic year saw an exemplary crop of independent projects completed by the student Resource Efficiency Program reps. From tangible topics like reuse and reduce to awareness-raising blogs<http://harvardrep.wordpress.com/> and exercises REPs worked hard to educate and inspire their peers this year.

Green Cup Victors Announced
The winners of the 2012 Green Cup Competition were announced on April 21 at the undergraduate Earth Day Celebration. Cabot House won the Resource Efficiency prize, and tied with Mather House for the Participation Prize. Dunster was the first place Green House Committee, with Mather placing second. Cabot House was the overall winner, taking home the Green Cup trophy.

Green Buildings Highlights
*  Since 2009, LISE's energy efficiency efforts have saved the FAS over $860,000 and reduced GHG emissions by close to 2,000 MTCDE!
*  When in Loeb Theater, take a look at the new LED lights, saving $11,085 and 36 MTCDE each year.

Upcoming Events

End of year FreeCycle, Boylston Hall, June 7th, 11:30am-1:30pm
Take advantage of the post graduation calm to clean out your office or home and give your stuff a second life. If you have donations you'd like picked up in advance, email brandon_geller at harvard.edu<mailto:brandon_geller at harvard.edu> before May 23rd to arrange pick up from your office. Donations will also be accepted starting at 9am on June 7th, and run through the end of the event.

Annual Cambridge Go Green Awards: May 22, 8:00 am to 9:30 am, MIT Museum, 265 Massachusetts Avenue. Our friends at Harvard Law School won a GoGreen Award this year for their waste reduction and composting efforts! The annual presentation of awards to businesses and organizations for their sustainability initiatives.  A light breakfast will be served.  Following the awards event, attendees will be able to view the museum's special exhibit Rivers of Ice:  Vanishing Glaciers of the Greater Himalaya<http://web.mit.edu/museum/exhibitions/rivers-of-ice.html>.  Please RSVP to randers at cambridgema.gov<mailto:randers at cambridgema.gov>.