[Greener-benches] Green Tip May 2010

Kreycik, Philip William philip_kreycik at harvard.edu
Wed May 26 10:38:04 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,

I got some questions about whether we could provide the compostable food
service items for samples to have in your breakroom, and yes, it's
certainly possible to provide a small supply to individual labs and
offices to try out, particularly if you plan to reduce your trash by
actually composting them. (note: if you can't use reusable plates, I
recommend lightweight non-plastic items whether or not they are
composted because of the reduced environmental cost of their
production).

Since there is a fair amount of interest in this, I thought I'd also
include a note about how to get some on your own for not much more than
the price of bulk plastic items.

1.    Go to www.OfficeMaxSolutions.com
<http://www.officemaxsolutions.com/> . If you do not have a login, you
can contact Harvard's Dedicated Support Team at 866.276.9016.

2.    Log in, and click "Create New Office Product Order"

3.    Find the shared Harvard "Environmentally-preferred products" link

4.    Look for "Breakroom" supplies, and the compostable products are by
the company "eco-products"

Best,

Philip

Quoting "Kreycik, Philip William" <philip_kreycik at harvard.edu>:

> Dear all,

> Please see below for the campus-wide Green Tip, which highlights the

> results of the initiatives that so many of you have worked on to
reduce

> your emissions, both in your personal habits and in your projects.  A

> 14% reduction in pre-existing ("baseline") buildings' emissions in
just

> 4 years

> In FAS sustainability news, we have three exciting updates:

> 1)       The Spring 2010 version of our newsletter is attached, and it

> celebrates all of FAS's Green Carpet award winners. Please check out

> your peers' accomplishments!

> 2)       We have a supply of compostable food-service items that any

> department may use if they would like to pilot test a "Zero-trash

> event." Simply reply to let me know how much you'd need and when!

> 3)       A "Freecycle" event will be held on Tuesday, June 22, from
11am

> to 1:30pm, outside the Science Center - Whether you're moving to a new

> space or simply doing some late spring cleaning, you may find extra

> office supplies, books, magazines, or mugs that you or your office no

> longer need - don't trash them, freecycle them!  Please bring items to

> donate the day of or contact us at energy at fas to arrange a pick up
ahead

> of time.

> Happy Commencement Week! Hope to see you for Freecycle on June 22.

> Philip & Gosia

> ________________________________

because

> you previously signed up for the Green Campus Network. Click here

> Having trouble reading this newsletter? Click here

> <http://harvard-ofs.cmail5.com/t/y/l/bfnu/ktxiklru/r>  to see it in
your

> browser.

>  Harvard University Green Tip of the

> Month<http://i6.cmail5.com/ei/y/A7/26A/FE8/061944/header.png>

>  <http://i7.cmail5.com/ei/y/A7/26A/FE8/061944/_space.gif>

> Harvard Greenhouse Gas Goal: How are we doing?

> In 2008, Harvard University set a goal to reduce campus greenhouse gas

> (GHG) emissions <http://harvard-ofs.cmail5.com/t/y/l/bfnu/ktxiklru/y>

> to 30% below our 2006 baseline by 2016, including growth. To date we

> have achieved a 7% overall reduction in GHG emissions from FY06-FY09,

> including growth. This accomplishment is equivalent to removing over

> 4,000 passenger cars from the road.

> Moreover, when the 2 million square feet of new labs, offices, and
dorms

Tip<http://i8.cmail5.com/ei/y/A7/26A/FE8/061944/graph.png>

> How are we doing it?

> Harvard's emissions reductions are the result of significant upgrades

> the central energy plants (which provide much of our heating and

> cooling), changes in building equipment and operations, and the
adoption

> of sustainable behaviors by our community. Some of the biggest

> contributors include:

> *   Switching from oil to natural gas in our steam plant

> *   Boiler upgrades and the installation of a backpressure turbine

> in the steam plant

> *   Heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and lighting upgrades

> *   Commissioning buildings to ensure the optimal operations of

> existing equipment

> *   Installing high efficiency motors and variable frequency drives

> to use energy only when we need it

> *   Improvements to building envelopes (e.g. sealing windows and

> doors)

> *   Renewable energy projects

> *   Behavior changes and policy changes such as the Temperature

> Policy <http://harvard-ofs.cmail5.com/t/y/l/bfnu/ktxiklru/j> ,
computer

> power management, turning off appliances and lights, and purchasing

> EnergyStar appliances

> GHG Reduction Goal Planning

> Harvard's planning for the GHG Reduction Goal has been fast and
furious

> since the fall of 2008. Our accomplishments include:

> *   Every Harvard School has written a draft GHG Reduction Strategy

> covering all of their efficiency efforts.

> *   A Harvard-Wide Temperature Policy

> <http://harvard-ofs.cmail5.com/t/y/l/bfnu/ktxiklru/t>  that provides a

> framework to assist building managers and occupants in achieving a

> healthy, productive, and safe working environment while reducing
energy